Barrow County Cheer Association's Fan Box

The Milligans

The Milligans
Chris, Emily, Krista, and Seth

Thursday, April 17, 2008

First and Fifths

Today is a sick day for the kids, so I'm taking this time to set up my new blog. I plan on putting up family updates and pictures of the kids on here. So, hopefully everyone can keep up!

Krista's school called while I was on the way to work and said they thought she had Fifths Disease (4 other kids in her class have had it recently). I had heard of the disease before, but wasn't sure what it was. Basically it's just a virus starts out with cold-like symptoms and then presents a rash that stays for up to 5 weeks long. The rash starts with red cheeks and then spreads throughout the rest of the body in a splotchy (honey-combed) pattern. The virus itself doesn't show that it is Fifths until the rash shows up and by then, it is no longer contagious. So, I called the pediatrician and asked if I should bring her in and they said yes. I also remember that Seth's cheeks were bright red yesterday, so I asked if I should bring him in too and they said yes. I felt like an idiot for sending Krista to school, but when she came home with a runny nose and sore throat, I thought it was allergies to the pollen that everyone is suffering from. So, I gave her Claritin for 2 days until I noticed the rash last night. I thought the rash was an allergic reaction to the Claritin. Doh! Anyways, I took them to the doctor and sure enough, it's Fifths (and no strep--we checked that too)! So, here are some pictures of Krista's rash today. Much, much lighter than last night and you can see where it spread down her arms.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: